Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Meet Some of the Vocal Majority

Example is doing everything it can to encourage other students not to drink or use drugs during prom this weekend.  Each day before chapel, several students face the entire student body and explain why they have decided to avoid drugs and alcohol during Prom weekend. The goal is to encourage students and help them realize that the majority does not drink or use just to have a good time.
These students are using their courage and their voices to create a vocal majority.

On Monday, Lauren shared these words with LHN: 

Hi, everyone.  My name is Lauren and I'm choosing not to drink at Prom.

I want to encourage you all to remember the love from God that we are shown daily.  In response to this love, we need to love others and follow His commands.  We can love others by looking out for our friends on Prom night and by not putting any of them in dangerous situations involving alcohol.

We can follow God's commands by not engaging in underage drinking that is harmful to our bodies, and to those around us.  We are blessed to be surrounded by teachers and peers that care about us and want us to succeed.  In order to succeed, we need to make God-pleasing decisions and encourage others to do the same.
So have fun at Prom and if you are put into a difficult situation, remember the love God has for you, trust that He knows what's best for you and make your decision based on His will.

On Tuesday, Nicole addressed the student body: 

My name is Nicole Ignasiak and I will not be drinking before, at or after prom this year.  I’m not going to stand up here and tell you guys why you shouldn’t drink.  Instead, I’m just going to tell you a few reasons why I’m not going to drink at prom.  As a senior, this is one of my last big events at North before graduation and I want to remember every part of it.  I don’t want to think of it as a great night just because I was drinking or just because others told me it was a good night. I really want to remember it.  I also don’t want to risk getting in trouble on such an important night. 

Trust me, cops know it’s prom season.  They’re not dumb. My track coach is a cop and he tells the team every year how busy he is this time of the year and all the different ways he can pull someone over if he suspects drinking. 

I also don’t want to risk harming myself or others. I don’t want to harm this body that God has entrusted me with.  I don’t want to purposely poison and damage it. I truly believe that I am a unique child of God full of potential washed in the blood of Christ and I don’t need to compromise that by drinking at prom.

Thank you