Thursday, April 25, 2013

I'm not drinking at Prom because...


Mercedes' faith in God is the only superpower she needs
Hi my name is Mercedes Hughes and I’m making the choice not to drink at prom. 
I won’t be drinking at prom because I understand the harmful effects it can have on my body.  I know that it hurts not only myself but the people I care about too.  But most importantly I wont be drinking at prom because when you drink you are saying that you and your desires are more important than God.  When you choose to drink you are blatantly saying that that you are above God and his plan for you, and that you know what is best for your life, not God. 
It is not in God’s plan for me and my life.  His plan for me does not include conforming to the patterns of this world, but instead it is to live according to his will.  I know it’s not always easy to stand up against the temptation to fit in by drinking, but we are never alone through temptation. 
In 1 Corinthians 10:13 God promises, “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind.  And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.  But when you are tempted he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”