Friday, May 4, 2018

Prom Week: Day Five

The hallways were easier to navigate. The lunch lines much shorter than normal. More importantly, juniors had the chance to park in the coveted senior parking lot.  With seniors not in school today because of Prom, the juniors had a taste of what it will be like as leaders of the school. 
Two juniors addressed the student body and explained why drugs and alcohol will not be a part of their Prom plans this weekend.
 
"Hi, I’m Jackson and I will not be drinking or doing drugs tonight.  A common misconception told to us is that it’s easy to “just say no.” Peer pressure and the idea of seeming cool may be why you are thinking of drinking tonight. And while it may not be easy to say no to your friends, that’s much easier than drinking and then getting in a life-changing accident and calling your parents saying all the time and money they’ve spent on you with school and athletics has gone to waste and that their life is forever changed. 
Along with your parents, imagine calling your coaches, who you have been training with for three years now, and saying all the effort they put into you is a waste and you won’t be able to play with them for your senior year.  You will have let  your teammates down by not playing side-by-side with them. And let’s say you don’t get in an accident, but are pulled over by the police.  Imagine getting a DUI and an MIP before you become a senior.  Your driver’s license will be taken away, your parents’ trust – gone. Your hope of getting into your dream school are gone and if you‘ve worked your whole life to be a college athlete, your dreams are gone forever.
All of this for a night, you won’t even remember, because you wanted to be “cool.”
Thanks and Go Mustangs.
 
"Hi, I'm Kendall and I'm a junior at Lutheran North.  Here are a few reasons I won’t drink or do drugs at Prom:
For those of you who don’t know me, I love soccer. Right now we’re in the middle of the season and I’m not going to let it slow down my performance. I can’t let my team down and not be allowed to play.
College applications start this summer and I don’t want to have a setback already.  I want to get into college. I want to have fun at Prom and have good memories, not just good pictures to look at. I want this first Prom to be fun.  I also want to be an Example to underclassmen.  I encourage you to not drink and use drugs, not only for yourself, but also for your parents, friends, teachers and teammates. 
Please know that you are not alone. The speakers you have heard this week prove that.
Finally.
“Donʼt let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.” - I Timothy 4:12
 
 
As of today there are 111 Lutheran North students who signed the Example PROMise.  Thank you for encouraging others by being a visible Example with your signature, your decisions and your actions.