Thursday, May 4, 2017

Prom Week: Day Four

Encouragement. Excitement. Honesty. Honor.  These four words describe today's speeches. Therese and Logan shared their desire to make intelligent God-pleasing decisions during Prom weekend.


Click here to watch Therese's speech
Hello, my name is Therese and I’m beyond excited to be graduating soon. Seniors, we have 20 days left of high school. Did you hear that? Twenty days! One of the most important events during the school year is Prom….and it’s tomorrow. The day everyone fantasizes about. The day girls spend hours upon hours getting their hair, nails and makeup done.
The day guys get to rock the bow-ties and show off their killer moves on the dance floor. Prom is something everyone looks forward to. It’s a big night for a lot of us. You want to look back on this day and remember the good times, not forget them. Choosing to drink before, or after Prom, is just NOT WORTH IT. What’s really the point? Is it to look cool in front of your friends? Does getting wasted, to the point you won’t even remember Prom, sound memorable to you? Being under the influence is a conscious decision you make that puts yourself and others at risk.
Now I’m not going to continue my lecture on why not to drink, because most of you already know the consequences. The dangerous reality of drinking is harming people. Harming them mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. A lot of you have already planned what after-party you’re attending. Are there going to be some that supply alcohol? Yes…But MOST don’t! What a lot of people don’t realize is the majority of people don’t drink at all on prom night. If you choose not to drink, YOU’RE NOT ALONE! 
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 says “Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; You were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.”
This verse is one to live by. If you walk away today forgetting everything I said except one thing, let it be this: Enjoy this special night with friends who encourage you in God pleasing ways. I challenge you today, and every day to be a courageous leader. I challenge you to never fear or give into the peer pressures of drinking. Always stand firm in the knowledge that, because Christ is for us, who can be against us?

Click here to watch Logan's speech
Hi, I’m Logan Davis and this is why I won't be drinking at prom. 
As some of you may know my dad is a deputy for the Macomb County Sheriff's Office and for any of you that may have met him, you know he’s not the most gentle of creatures in the world. For those of you that don’t know him, let's just say he doesn't need his gun to be intimidating. So I think that would have to be my first reason I won't drink because I don't want to know what he might do.

The second reason that I'm going to say no is that I am one of those weird kids that actually likes to run. Track is nearing the end of the season which means that all we have left are the important meets. I would hate to throw away any shot of being able to run in those meets because I decided that I would have one “fun” night that I probably won't even be able to remember.

The third and final reason that I will remain sober during Prom is that, like a lot of you, I am taking a date to prom. By asking her I have made a promise to her and her parents that I will protect her. How can I fulfill this obligation if I get too drunk to protect even myself? These are the reasons I will not be drinking at prom and I hope that you will do the same.