Thursday, April 28, 2016

Prom Week Encouragement: Day Four

Standing up for what you believe is difficult.  Some don't want to hear the truth.  Some don't know the truth. While difficult, standing up for what you believe is crucial.  The impact that encouraging words of truth, when combined with encouraging acts of truth make a difference in the lives of students, their friends and their families.


That's exactly what Example wants to accomplish.  Example wants to make sure the LHN community knows that not everyone is using alcohol and/or drugs.  Alcohol is not an inevitable part of high school. Yes, it's difficult. Yes, the pressures are great.  They are not, however, insurmountable. Example proves that with every event, every speaker, every Tweet, every Facebook post and every blog article.

And today, Thursday, April 27, 2016 Danielle testifies to the powerful and encouraging message that attending Prom drug and alcohol free is an intelligent, God-pleasing decision.

I want to be coherent enough, safe enough, and alive enough to appreciate Prom.
"Hello, for those of you who don't know me, I'm Danielle.
Your mind is made up and unfortunately, I might not be able to change that. I just want put a new perspective out there. About a month ago, I bought my prom dress after looking probably since January, and I know many girls have bought theirs or started looking around the same time.
Then somewhere in there are either prom dates or groups. Guys have to figure out the perfect promposal. You decide on pictures, what you are going to do after. Coordinating your outfit. Corsage. boutonniere. The whole prom package. Months and months of planning for one night.
One night where if you make the decision to partake in drinking and drugs, you take the risk of not remembering and other, even worse, consequences. Prom is supposed to be a night to remember not a night to forget. I tried to research prom statistics and everywhere I looked said that most students drinking on prom have at least 4 drinks. There is the risk of getting caught. The risk of impacting your future just so you can feel good today. What was the point of all that planning if you don't even remember it?
Obviously prom is important, otherwise you wouldn't spend so much time, money and moments being stressed on it. That is why I won’t partake in drinking or drugs. I want to remember my prom and look back on it fondly. A lot of planning went into it, and I want to be coherent enough, safe enough, and alive enough to actually appreciate it. I want to hang with my friends and have control over situations. I don't need to be in a haze to have fun tomorrow. If you decide to not drink or do drugs before, during, or after prom, know that you won’t be alone in that decision.
Thank you, be safe this prom and have fun."