Monday, April 30, 2018

Prom Week: Day One

It's Prom week and Example is doing all it can to encourage students to make safe and God-pleasing decisions not to use drugs or alcohol.
This week, before each chapel, several students will explain why
drugs and alcohol will not be a part of their Prom plans. Today, seniors Michael and Rachel addressed the student body and explained why they will enjoy a great Prom, have fun with their friends, and have so many memories all without the use of drugs and alcohol. Thank you for your encouragement and your willingness to make a difference.
 
 Rachel's Four Reasons For You to Read:
  1. I’ve been waiting for this night. I’ve been preparing for this night for a long time. I want to remember dancing and having fun with my friends, Lindsey and Elli
  2. I don’t want my date to worry about me.  I’m already a handful so I don’t want Jake to have another reason to worry about me.
  3. I’m an athlete and play soccer here at Lutheran North. I don’t want to jeopardize the team or myself or deal with the mental, emotional, physical or spiritual consequences.
  4. Finally, I want to be an example. I want people to see me dancing and having fun and know I’m doing that without relying on drugs or alcohol.


Hello, my name is Michael and I am a member of Example. Today I will be speaking to you on why I will not be doing drugs or consuming alcohol before, during, during and after Prom.
    The use of drugs and alcohol impairs your decision making and reaction time which can have dangerous consequences especially when driving. I, unfortunately, knew a man who was killed by a driver under the influence. It does happen and it is dangerous to think you will never be the one to cause an accident because you can supposedly handle the effects of drugs or alcohol.
    Like many of you, I am not just responsible for myself, but also for my date. I love her and need to keep her safe, not only for her parents but for her Heavenly Father as well.  Value comes from who she is. I will stay sober to keep her safe on the road and all other stages of the night.
    For the seniors, graduation is right around the corner. It'll be a great time filled with joy with friends and family. We have all worked hard over the past four years to get here and our parents and loved ones can't wait to see us walk across that stage at graduation. That is not something I am willing to risk for one night.
    For many, college follows. We have all worked really hard to get accepted into our colleges so why put the next four years in jeopardy for one night?
    Your decisions have consequences that can last for the rest of your lives.  Please think before you act - if not for yourselves then for your parents, friends, and loved ones.
    I hope you all have a great time.

 

Students are also signing Example PROMise contracts. It's a great way to let our community know that there are many young men and women making safe, God-pleasing decisions. We post these in the main hallway to remind students that there are a lot of students who are making safe, healthy, God-pleasing decisions this weekend.
Thank you, everyone.