Saturday, August 29, 2015

What do you think you know about prescription drugs?


Channel 7's Anu Prakash recently aired a segment that all high school students, high school parents, high school teachers and administrators need to watch.
(WXYZ) - "Not even a year ago, I was living out of my car. Not a penny to my name. I was addicted to heroin," says Brittany Sherfield.
It's an addiction that almost killed the 24-year-old.
Her problems started when she got hooked to prescription pills at age 17. But when that got too expensive, she turned to heroin.
"I overdosed 3 times. One time, I didn't think I was going to pull through," she says.
However, Sherfield did pull through. She realized something had to change.
Going to rehab a few times was part of the process. She's been sober for 9 months now. She says she also got involved with the organization called FAN, or Families Against Narcotics.
"It's hard sharing personal story, but it's so rewarding. I helps keep me sober," she says. "It keeps me going." 
Watch the entire segment below and then plan on attending Example's Prescription Drug Information Night on Wednesday, September 23 from 6:30 - 7:30 in Lutheran North's gym.

Dr. Joe Naughton, Director of Medical Education at Henry Ford Macomb Hospital and Willie Kalousdian, a person in recovery and Director of Youth in Recovery for Families Against Narcotics, are the evening's speakers.

Contact John Brandt, JBrandt@lhsa.com, if you have any questions.